Saturday, March 17, 2012

Game-Based Learning


GBL in the future

I read the NMC.org site. I honestly feel that in my own opinion, game based-learning has already become adopted widely and will continue to grow. Game-Based Learning (GBL) will never disappear like a fad. It will hold its own place in education. A big reason why games appeal to the learner is because they cater to various learning styles: tactile learners: controlling an entity on the screen with your hands and having it interact with the other objects; visual learners: animated graphics and interaction between sprites and other entities; audio learners: sound effects after a shot is fired or an explosion occurs; textual learners: words describing the objectives of the game and notifying you when goals are attainted. These are the key tools used to engage the learner.

For this sole reason of games appealing to all the senses, I feel that games, especially video or online games, are the ultimate way to learn and teach.

I would take several factors into consideration when designing a game for learners:
1) Learners' demographics - What is the background? What do they know about gaming? 
2) Subject - What topic is being learned?
3) Content - What types of things will the learner learn? What objects or characters will be used in the game?
4) Entertainment - What type of storyline will be used for the learner to accomplished the objective?
5) Engagement - How will visual, audio, text, and interaction between learner and game be used to accomplish the objective?


I remember growing up as a child and learning the conventional way: teacher with chalk and chalkboard and student with pen and pad. I always wondered why teachers never incorporated techniques from sesame street and electric company to get our attention. I always wondered why games were not incorporated more into our school work. Even as an adult, game-based learning is still more engaging and effective for me when I am teaching or when I am being taught.

This is the basis for my final project. HOPE YOU ENJOY!!!

Gavon

No comments:

Post a Comment